Istvan Gador (1891-1984) He began his studies in 1906 at the small sculpture department of the Royal Hungarian School of Applied Arts with Antal Lorántfi. The following year he transferred to the then newly arrived teacher, Géza Maróti, to study sculpture, and finally to Imre Simay to complete his studies. After graduating from school, he found a job and worked for five years in his studio on József Street in Maróti. Here he makes his first ceramics of his own in 1914. He later rents his own studio on Lehel Road. After the fall of the Soviet Republic, he goes to Vienna and becomes a member of the Wiener Werkstadte ceramics workshop. Unfortunately, the Wiener Werkstadte will be forced to send six out of ten artists, including Gádor, due to the poor economic situation.
In 1925, through the mediation of Géza Maróti, he took part in the applied art exhibition in Monza, where he obtained a diploma of appreciation. Since then, he has been a regular participant in almost all major domestic and international exhibitions.
In 1937 he won the gold medal at the Paris World's Fair. Since 1945, he has been teaching ceramics at the School of Applied Arts. He has changed style again and is trying in the direction of abstract art. He is greatly influenced by Picasso, with whom he has the opportunity to meet in person. Vase and bowls in modern shapes show the "Curly" style features of Picasso's painting.
In the late stages of his career, he turns to a nonfigurative and constructivist term. At the Zsolnay Factory in Pécs, he makes large-scale porcelain sculptures.
He received the Kossuth Prize twice in 1955 and 1975.
top of page
bottom of page